Saturday, August 09, 2008

"They say that when you meet the love of your life, time stops." - Ed Bloom (older), Big Fish

For me, time only stopped for one person. Only one person I remember perfectly vividly the first time I laid eyes on her. Only one person made such an impression that she was seared into my memory. I remember what she was wearing, the length of her hair, the direction she was walking, where we were, and the very specific words that crossed my mind, "...most beautiful woman I've ever seen". I'd call that time stopping.

Josephine, I can probably pinpoint pretty close to the day I met her, but only because we met during a Summer semester in Thailand, and that arrival had a definite date that I probably have recorded in black & white archives. But no recollection of an exact moment.

Shiho, I should. I saw her picture in my brother's yearbook before I went to that school and met her. I was into all things Japanese at that time, and still no recollection of when I first met her. Time definitely didn't stand still. Not until years later, at least, when she left. And I had already met her, so that doesn't count. Time stopped for a different reason.

Hiromi, I'm surprised I don't remember since I'm sure I thought she was gorgeous the moment I saw her. But truth to tell, I see a lot of people I think are gorgeous the moment I see them, and time doesn't stop. And time didn't stop for Hiromi. She did have her other significant impact, though, which is if I could go back and re-live a period of my life, it would probably be the semester with her, when dear friend Amina was in Dublin.

Nope, and no one else. So what was that and what happened? Just plain stupidity maybe. I think Amina would love that movie, too, with its treatment of narrative and multiple layers. But that was a long time ago, what do I know about her now? I think I'm gonna hunt down the DVD at Blockbusters so I can see it without commercials. I remember when the film came out, I wanted to see it because it looked interesting and very different from Tim Burton's other films, and it used Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill" in the trailer. But I think 2 other films at that time also were using it, and that kinda ruined it.

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 6, 2:30 p.m.
THURSDAY, AUGUST 7, 3:02 a.m. - Maishuai Bridge #1. Night riding.
FRIDAY, AUGUST 8 - Pentax ZX-5n, Ilford XP2 Super.
Nanjing E. Rd., Sec. 5 looking east.