Thursday, May 22, 2014

When I first walked into World Gym to see what it had to offer me, from their point of view it's what they consider a "consultation". When they asked me about my exercise activity history and told them I'd pretty much been a runner or cyclist since high school, they exclaimed I might come in every day!

I laughed at that. Who goes to the gym every day? Turns out they know the type, and I might be totally comfortable going in five days a week with self-imposed rest days to not hurt myself, since I do know that I tend to over-extend myself.

I'd never even been in a commercial gym before, but given the current circumstances here in Taipei, I have to say I'm loving it. My primary goal is to maintain a fitness level whereby when the weather allows me to ride, I won't have to start with 30-mile default, flat fitness rides along the riversides.

But as long as the facilities are available, I hope to get my running back.

I tried last year after Sadie's visit, but recall only able to get to woefully slow paces (more than 9:30 miles) before ultimately injuring myself and giving up by summer. 9:30 miles, mind you, are not acceptable. Running 9:30 miles means give it up, fuggedaboutit. Running at a 9:30 pace is not worth it, it's not running.

So I'm hoping the treadmills will allow me a controlled build up back up to a decent pace. Ultimately 7:30 miles or under, but I have to allow for my age and alcoholism, so I'm not going to be too hard on myself. I'll be happy if I can ultimately complete a 10k run at any pace without hurting myself.

Otherwise there are the other cardio machines, as well as resistance weight machines which I know how to use from high school track, and punching bags that take me back to college Tae Kwon Do. But I have to remember my age. I'm middle age. I shouldn't be pathetic and think I'm young like that. Otherwise I'm loving the gym.
WordsCharactersReading time