Tuesday, October 08, 2019

Not much going on with the change of seasons. The change of a season's enough of a reason to want to get away. It's still hot, but pleasantly hot now and continues to get cooler. My previous post about iPhones and cameras has not led to any re-interest in shooting, thankfully. Some looking to see if I see anything, but alas no "seeing", which was what photography was about. Actually, I vaguely recall the reason I stopped shooting was because I stopped seeing, and had been struggling with it for some time. So much so that I think it was an easy decision to stop. And then, as I mentioned, I was glad to have stopped when smartphones made me irrelevant.

I did go back into my archives to the last rolls I shot in 2011 to get a sense of why I stopped (months actually, not rolls as the last few months were with my brother's Nikon D80 DSLR). It actually wasn't all that lacking, a lot of re-treading subject matter as I'd already shot so much in my years here there wasn't a lot new. But it's the feeling that's important and I won't doubt what I was feeling at the time, which is that it was getting harder to see. Ah, it all comes back to me now. The idea was that the shots are out there, around us all the time, and it's a matter of being able to see them. They're not all gold, a lot are duds, but a good amount are workable. But there's nothing to work on when I'm not shooting anything, and I'm not shooting anything because I'm not, at the very least, seeing something. I'm perfectly happy not going back to all that.

But that led to looking farther back into my archives and remembering that fotolog was pretty much dead and had been for some time – a good thing really since their quality and functionality as a website ended up sucking quite a wad. But that means my photos are no where online. So shameless, narcissistic, serial archivist that I am, I'm contemplating the possibilities. I'm considering uploading them to this blog retroactively since almost all my photos are meticulously dated, a practice I started immediately upon taking beginning black & white classes. And since Blogger is now owned by Google, one (rare) advantage is I think the memory storage limit is very high. I actually don't know. If they're still stored in Picasa, I have no idea what the limit is. But if they're stored on Google Drive, I still have 7GB of storage. The problem remains that it would be a project that would take a very, very long time and I might get bored or sick of it. Photography pre-dates this blog, so at least there's that limit I can impose on myself. The purpose would be purely archival, mind you, as I'm under no delusion that the photos would ever actually be seen. It's just what serial archivists do.

"Why thank you"
July 28, 2010, Taipei. From my last roll of Lomo Fisheye 2, none of which has been posted anywhere. Generic color 400 film.