Tuesday, November 26, 2019

All in all, my experience going to the doctor and with Taiwan's National Health Insurance was pretty harmless. Helpful even, in meaningful ways that my experience with the health care profession in the U.S., including family, never was. For starters, it was effective for what it did. My hearing's not perfect, but I think that's a matter of course; physicians aren't magicians.

Each of my two visits cost me NT$200 out of pocket. Six bucks U.S., including prescriptions. I don't know how different it is at larger hospitals or for serious conditions, but with neighborhood clinics, I just presented my national health card, they immediately asked for NT$200, they gave me a number, I waited, I saw the doctor, I picked up my prescription with no further cost. Nifty.

My first six dollar visit got me a diagnosis and ear drops for the impacted wax. The second six dollar visit three days later confirmed that my ear was clean, but since my hearing was still wonky I got a 3-day regimen of antibiotics for the infection. After three more days my hearing still wasn't perfect, but had improved enough for me to delay going for a third visit. I had impacted wax and an infection and they gave me treatment for those. They hinted that the next step would be giving me a referral to a hospital for more sophisticated hearing tests. They had done all they could. 

My general belief is that the human body, given time, will for most part heal itself from most non-life threatening maladies. So the doctors having treated my direct and identifiable symptoms to the best of their knowledge and abilities was the limit of what I was willing to pursue medically, and now is the time to give it time; to convalesce.

I figure the residual tinnitus I still have – a bearable, unobtrusive mid-range tone and occasional hearing drop-off – may be the result of deformities in my ear structure caused by swelling from the infection, and that's not anything a doctor can do anything about. I just need whatever ear parts to settle into where they belong to stop the ringing. I can physically manipulate my ear gently and carefully and get clarity in my hearing, and that's evidence that I'm not suffering from any major hearing loss requiring sophisticated hospital equipment to identify.

Not drinking for three days was easy and a bit interesting as I'd have quick pangs that I should be drinking by now, but then remember I'm not supposed to. I also didn't drink for 24 hours after the last course of antibiotics, so yay me. Also interesting was my body wasn't all that happy with the re-start of alcohol intake. But a fine alcoholic I'd be if I didn't drink, so my body just has to deal with not being happy. My brain and body don't have the best means or mode of communication.