Monday, March 22, 2021

One last dip into winter, nothing unusual. Dreary, rainy, highs in the low 60s (cold for the sub-tropics); if it was like this for a week or more in January or February, it would be winter in all its miserable glory. But after a smoggy but sun-speckled week in the 70s and 80s and later this week rebounding in that direction, this is just a chilly aberration. Refreshing even. As days hint at warm and muggy, nights become indecisive regarding getting under the covers or laying on top, often starting above and then slipping under as the night progresses. These may be the last days of comfortable diving warm and snuggly under the comforter for the night. 

I want my cold water shower certification, I think I've earned it. I'm practically jaded about getting under a cold water shower now. Granted half my showers are still with stolen hot water remnants from my neighbor and the cold half of showers aren't nearly as bad with winter coming to an end. I no longer jump into them screaming like a girl and rush like a flailing cat to get out. I be like yo! I'm bad, just chillin' under cold water. I don't suppose the Boy Scouts have a cold water shower badge. I do suppose we could guess how it would be certified and by whom, those scoutmasting letches. Not Boy Scouts. Unemployed Middle-Age Scouts? Of America.

I had a reoccurrence of the knee problem I had a few months ago, suggesting it may be something chronic. It's a bad enough pain that if I had a longer term outlook on life I'd probably get it checked out medically. I even looked up the kind of doctor I'd probably want to see (骨科 (gu⠂ke) orthopedic) and started keeping an eye out for clinics in my neighborhood with those words, but stopped not seeing any and realizing I don't have a long-term outlook. I was just checking out of habit. If my teeth start bothering me my neighborhood seems to be the epicenter for dentists (牙醫). 

It didn't really bother me this time, knowing it would go away. It was that doubt before that had me freaking out, wondering if it was something permanent. Looking back, why would I think that? I dunno, paranoid pessimism perhaps. This time I even kept track of it for the data. I felt it start to stiffen late Tuesday. Wednesday I couldn't bend my knee enough to even ride my bike, lord knows I tried. Wednesday to Saturday were maximum Advil days (no more than 6 per 24-hour period). Sunday I only took Advil in the morning and after that it still hurt, but the agony requiring Advil was over. This morning I was finally able to force my leg into my usual half-lotus position for sitting (instead of with my left leg hanging off the edge) and now I have full-range of motion with only a very tolerable, lingering pain.