Sunday, September 12, 2004

I've been thinking a lot about the monastery option, trying to get clear and critical about it. It's not going to change anything, but . . . I'm procrastinating. 'Trying to get clear and critical' is what I do as long as I'm not making and implementing the decision. 

I visited that monastery last month in upstate New York, and their practice just didn't resonate, and I could tell if I stayed longer and was exposed to more aspects of their practice, it still wouldn't resonate (my imaginary alter ego says that's precisely a reason why I should try it out there – a good point, but one on which I shan't dwell). 

Even though the head honcho there is pretty incredible, and, mind you, not present when I was visiting, I was very critical, nit-picking maybe, about a bunch of aspects of their practice which was very distracting to me. But part of my consideration is taking apart and letting go of my criticisms of that monastery's practice, as well as being critical of any idealization or romanticization of the monastery I do want to go to near San Diego. 

And part of the whole consideration boils down to 'why become a monastic?'. I don't think of myself as being particularly religious or spiritual. I'm more into the metaphysical, even the psychological, and as far as the religion is concerned, the central attraction is the promotion of peace, understanding, and a wider, holistic view of the world and the people in it. 

Hm, damn. I thought there was a larger discussion in this, but it's easy to question monasticism while I'm sitting at my parents' house with no other human interaction or concerns, and I can't go on living like this much longer. I certainly have no desire to go back to secular life; get a job, get a life, make friends, get a relationship, ride a bike, play an instrument, buy music, buy DVDs, call friends, drink beer, lose friends, drink whisky, drink gin, blog my little heart out, on and on and on, no and no and no.