Sunday, July 10, 2011

03. Withdrawal
Hm, I thought the title of this song was "Wishlist". Not sure how it got changed. It might be a mistake. Or not. I have no idea.

I'm pretty sure this song started with the opening lyric which then got slapped on top of the bass verse riff, which I'm pretty sure is the origin of the music. The guitar part was just what fit over the bass part and then used to develop the other portions.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that for this collection, the music writing and lyric writing were very separate processes. So while I was developing and recording the music over here, lyric ideas were being scrawled down over there, and the two were mashed together at a later point.

I'm a little embarrassed by both the confessional and meltdown nature of the lyrics. There is little hiding my preoccupation with various ways of dying and self-destruction and my inability to bring anything to fruition in that regard, story of my life. But I did try to have a little fun with it, too. I mean what's death and self-destruction if you're not having at least a little bit of fun? Just morbid. And I am not morbid.

At the time I had recently broken up with the purported "love of my life" Amina, and some reference to her crops up in a few of these songs, and they are immature, snide jabs at her. She's Pakistani and had a Caucasian nose that I always felt was poking me when we kissed. There's more in other songs.

The Simpsons impression in the repeated verse may be related via the South Asia connection, but her mother being English, she spoke with a British Indian accent, and not a full-on Apu Indian accent. It's indirect, but it was conscious.

I forget what all the different "voices" for the repeated verse were supposed to be. Aside from Apu, one of them was "Tom Waits". Another was "meltdown". I think one I wrote down as "about-to-crack". One sounds like it should've been labeled "constipated".

Other lyric elements came from various sources. "Four and twenty bishops" was an expression from my Contracts professor that I liked, used to emphasize the importance of evidence versus innuendo attested to by "four and twenty bishops".

There's a reference to angels which was a thing for me late in college. One of my favorite films at the time was Wim Wenders' "Wings of Desire" and I think I even wrote a paper on angels for a religion seminar. How flaky is that? (not as flaky as the field "angelology"). There's more in other songs.

The internet is an assumed part of modern life now, but back then it was just coming into wider use, being touted in the media with the catchphrase "information superhighway". I was being topical! Imagine how much lamer it would be if I had mentioned Infoseek or Lycos. Or Alta Vista. All pre-Google search engines. All had to be used to find the optimum result.

The line about being allergic to myself was about an elusive skin condition I have. It's nothing major, just an oddity as far as I can tell, and unlike other physical anomalies, this one has never gone away.

My skin is sensitive and if I scratch it even lightly it turns red and leads to more itching. If I scratch it because of itching, it leads to prominent, unsightly welts wherever I scratch it. So the reference was a joke about being allergic to just being myself.

The reference to being "discharged" was simply in my mind about being discharged from mental institutions, which I have been twice in my life, so this was referencing that deranged period of my life.

I don't want to be too harsh against the people who had me committed, nor about how they were just doing their jobs and had no clue what was going on. Looking at the scenes objectively, I think they were justified, but ultimately my case was beyond their psychiatric analysis, and kudos for them for realizing it. Something was clearly "wrong" (from their point of view), but it was beyond their purview of what they could understand, much less treat. So they let me go.

The guitar part was played on my acoustic Takamine running through an auto-wah and the bass line in the verses is slapped on my Riverhead. I'm not a slap bassist, but it's a lot of fun, and at the time I was experimenting with slapping without a lot of popping, or at least not popping in a higher register on a higher string. The electric drums are on the Phil Collins setting and there's also a second distorted guitar part that was done on the Takamine. Meaning this song was likely recorded before I bought the Peavey Predator.


I want to die a bloody, violent death
Smashed against the rocks below the cliffs, amidst the surf
But the hands around my neck keep stopping me
Surf to servant, lifted up by wings that never worked
And I owe my whole likeness to the kindness
Of the winds that blew me kisses from a lotus flower
Stood around me by some four and twenty bishops 
Giving me the finger with a sneer they said, "You wish"

My number one priority
Is finding the only wish I had left
As I'm flipping through my filofax
For that wish I have left

I wish I could find a way to decide
I wish there was a way I could survive
I wish I could be buried alive
I wish everyone would leave me alone

Seems to me to be one more life decision
Every heartbeat murmurs secrets only time can tell me
Met Jesus on my path, nearly stepped on him
Searched for God on the information interstate
She crowned me in a romantic bravado
It's your classic fairy tale scenario we all know
Bring me to a better understanding
Bring me people who would never ever leave me

My number one priority
Is to not stand stupid in some idiot's pose
Kissing ass, distracted by your pointed nose

I don't think I would want to be that wise
I don't want to live just to survive
I don't want to find what's behind my eyes
I don't think I should be thinking these things

Someday I'll drown in my own sense of privacy 
Where no one can help me to be who I want to be
Eggshell exiles scrambled in cups of tea
Porcelain lips kiss my grasp on reality
(repeat 5x)

Why am I allergic to myself?
I get a rash everytime I come down and try to be real
Ask me about my drinking problem
That's one way to get a prime example of denial
I smeared myself with 80 proof holy water
I'm a failure of religious guidance, social science
I'm next in line to be discharged and I feel better
On my way home gotta make it look like an accident