Saturday, January 21, 2012

I saw most of the movie "The King's Speech" on HBO, and towards the end, two classical music pieces were played on the soundtrack. The first I immediately identified as Beethoven's 7th Symphony, 2nd movement, because once you hear that somber and dramatic piece and identify it, you'll never forget it. It's as distinct as the 1st movement of the 5th.

The second piece was more elusive. I knew it was on my iPod, but I had trouble identifying it. I finally decided it was a Chopin Piano Concerto, either 1 or 2. Wrong. It turns out it was Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 5 (Emperor).

The reason I note this is because what I said about not being able to identify K-pop girl groups just by their sound or voices and how that reflects on their artistic integrity or identity.

Truth to tell, my ability to name a composer to any piece of classical music in my iTunes collection is probably not that much better than my ability to name a K-pop girl group, and I've been listening to these classical pieces for a whole lot longer than I've gotten into K-pop.

I'm not seriously comparing K-pop to classical music or suggesting the artistic integrity of either is any more or less than it should be. I'm just admitting that whatever criteria of whatever in my mind is a load of crap. And I'll love members of various K-pop girl groups way more than any classical composer period. Seriously, where are the hot female classical composers?

And why "The King's Speech" ended with two pieces by a quintessentially German composer, considering the film is a distinctly English perspective of the period leading to the start of World War II, is a bit baffling.

Decent film, great acting portrayals, although plot-wise the film was only going one way, and as such was predictable and any feeling that it was a good film was likely emotionally manipulated. I'd give it a nominal fresh rating of 6 out of 10 tomatoes.