Saturday, August 25, 2012

Shenkeng-Shiding climb


Shenkeng-Shiding climb

This ride was the product of having a GPS on a bike, for better or worse. The GPS allows, either upon doing or reviewing a ride, to discover other possible routes and roads to try. In this case it was a road that I noticed and decided to try. It was a climb and slightly higher than the climbs I had been doing, and ended up in familiar territory.

As a climb, it was fine, and fortunately with the GPS, when I went off course two times, I noticed and was able to get back. But the descent into Shiding was pretty miserable with ridiculously steep downhills and ending up on a bit of road that was unpaved, making this a ride that I won't be doing again.

I thought of returning to Taipei using an easy climb from Shenkeng that I found earlier, but I started late in the afternoon and it looked like it might get dark while still on inclines, so I abandoned that idea and backtracked my way home.