Tuesday, February 28, 2017

As I remember last winter in Taipei, it was pretty mild until around January 20 and then it got unusually cold for two months without much let up. It was always cold, rainy or dreary until late March.

This winter was similarly mild until late January before turning cold, but temperatures have been variable, so not as bad as last year. It's gotten cold, but not as cold as last year and not as protracted. In the past month daytime highs have gotten into the 70s and I think even 80s.

Really cold for Taipei is low 50s. Expected winter cold I would put above and under 60 degrees; not too different from San Francisco.

I would also mention that age becomes a factor in tolerance of cold and pain. The least bit of unpleasantness can ground me at home despite my telling myself that I need to get out. Two days of solid rain kept me in this past weekend except to get alcohol.

It's psychological. I perceive unpleasantness and dreariness, but I know from experience the climate conditions really aren't that bad. Every time I perceive it to be unpleasant outside but force myself out, I get out and think it isn't that bad. It's messed up.