Thursday, October 19, 2017

Summer ended rather quickly. I don't specifically remember how it's been in previous years (except perhaps one with a typhoon), but I'm sure this is how it typically is. I'm sure I probably mentioned it before, too.

What happens is the heat hits wet weather around this time of year (typhoon obviously qualifies), temperatures drop with the rain and *bam* thereafter it's clearly autumn. It's very sudden that the fan isn't on all the time, shirts are worn at home, and showers need an infusion of warmer water. More gradual are the window closing bit by bit, dressing in layers and moving under the covers to sleep.

I know I've mentioned before how I find it odd during Taipei summers that it's completely unimaginable how cold the winters get, and during the winter it's totally out of mind that summers are unbearably hot. This is the transition period, what happens between the heat and the cold. A lot of laundry gets done. That happens in the spring, too.

Distractions, distractions. Every day is all about distractions. Distraction conveyor belt to get from day to day.

Useless distractions; no running or cycling because even though I'm curious about the effect cutting back on drinking has had on those activities, doing those things might give me the impression that I've accomplished something. That I've done something not completely useless.

Reading Chinese is useless. That's OK. Watching lots and lots of videos on YouTube, which although enjoyable is utterly useless and is supposed to be reminding me how insubstantial and ethereal and empty such enjoyments are.

Not saying anything bad about that. There's nothing wrong with feeling good or even inspired in certain ways. Just remember to keep things in perspective and that none of it is anything I call real.