Monday, June 14, 2021

Yesterday was the first day in weeks that the daily number of infections by the Wuhan Communist China Covid-19 virus fell below 200 (175 cases reported). The infection rate had been fluctuating between 200-400 cases per day, neither increasing out of control nor definitively declining. While the reasons can't be stated with certainty, it might optimistically be a combination of Level 3 restrictions plus seemingly the vast majority of people voluntarily treating it as a lockdown. It would mean we can get a handle on this. 

Imagine if by hunkering down we can get the infection spread completely contained within a month or two. That would certainly be a statement to the international community what Taiwan is capable of. Personally I definitely do not have two months worth of funds left to see the outcome. 

It's been mildly inconvenient for me with only slight changes in my routine, no big deal. The increased time staying home hasn't translated to an increase in alcohol intake as far as I can tell *hic*. The restrictions are tolerable but they also annoyingly effect how and what I eat. I have a love-hate relationship with western fast food (clown, king and colonel all represented in my neighborhood). It's disgusting but as an expat I'll take most excuses to spring for it. And I'm under no delusion that when ordering a McDonald's salad, the emphasis is on "McDonald's", not "salad". "McDonald's" still does not mean "healthy", just that "salad" means "roughage". Tasty, not-really-healthy roughage.

The arrival of plum rains in all their daily afternoon squall glory also contributed to my restricted movements as I stay closer to home when it's raining. The rains also brought down temperatures proving I was right about summer arriving early in May with unseasonable heat. They made it reasonably comfortable for a bit as June should or could be, but now more heat is expected and A/C use already allowable. The plum rains also brought relief to southland reservoirs and the two-days-per-week-of-no-water rationing has been lifted, thank goodness for them. I don't know how I would have dealt with my water turned off two days per week. Not pretty.