Wednesday, April 21, 2004

More so-called Tibetan Book of the Dead:

There's this passage in the book that always makes me laugh and I think it should be changed. It is in the Existence Between, after a being has failed in the Reality Between to recognize that all objects of perception are a reflection or projection or are him or herself, and is in the process of being re-born into the world. It reads:

"Conditioned by that, you enter the path of the womb . . . Your body develops through the embryonic stages of "custard," "gelatin," and so forth. Eventually you will be born outside the mother's womb. Once your eyes are open, you realize you have been born a puppy. Having been a human, now you are a dog." (Thurman translation, p. 184)

Never mind that it's curious that something so specific should be recited to a between-being. It's just an example to the between-being how things might turn out. One could be re-born as any living thing, as determined by karma.

Anyway, the part that I would change is the end part, which I think should read: "Eventually you will be born outside the mother's womb. Once your eyes are open, you realize you have been born a puppy. Cute! Having been a human, now you are a dog." And yes, that is how I recite it.

I did take note of the mention of custard or jello, since I mentioned pudding earlier. Mm, custard.