Saturday, September 17, 2005

The mystery roll of Tri-X turned out to not be Josephine's from 1998, but shots from September 4, 2000 at the West Indian Labor Day Parade in Brooklyn. I went with an old high school ex, Liz Rusch. We took the subway to Brooklyn. I went to see steel drums, but saw woeful few. It rained on us. I got a sticker saying "Mean People Suck" which got torn from getting wet, and now there's a sticker on my bass guitar, "People Suck".
August 28, 2005, 2:55 p.m.
The film switch from the Fujica to the Pentax was near perfect. No frames lost at the beginning, and I managed to not overlap the last frame taken with the Fujica when I advanced the film in the Pentax to finish the roll. There was just a slight gap – as perfect as I could hope for.

It's a trick you can only do with manual rewind cameras. You note the last frame shot in the first camera, then rewind the film until you feel it give and stop immediately so you don't rewind the film into the canister. If you're nervous about it, you should do it in complete darkness so you can open the camera without exposing any of the film. Then load the film into the second camera and advance the film by shooting with the lens cap on until you get to the same frame where it left off.
September 4, 2000 - Brooklyn, West Indian Labor Day Parade, Fujica ST605n, Kodak Tri-X.
September 12, 2005 - Same roll of film, Englewood Cemetery, Pentax K2, Tri-X (ISO 800).
Existence is still the hard thing for me. Not living. Living is easy. It's easy to enjoy living here, this wonderful planet, this wonderful world, even with all the crap and misery and frustrations. That's why in the end, in the worst of situations, people are just glad to be alive.

It might feel good to have some stability, some maturity. Have a job and make money and spend it, and go to bars with people and drink lovely beer. To shoot film and share photography online, play shakuhachi in cemeteries, play guitar in the corner of my room, bass with other people, drums if I were really lucky. Ride my bike,