Thursday, July 19, 2007

I bought a new bike! Cheap, too, cheaper than my Peugeot in the U.S., and cheaper than it's selling in the U.S.

July 18, 7:46 a.m. 
It's an entry level OCR2 that I got for less than US$500. It's really weird, though. In Taiwan, from this model up to any bike from any company, I haven't seen anything less than about $1200.

I think this bike is pretty much equal to my Peugeot, maybe a slight bit heavier, but then again I never carried the Peugeot up 6 flights of steps, so this might very easily be lighter. I'm very happy with it.

I really don't see why I would ever need a higher end bike. All I need are the various parts to do their jobs reliably and to be reasonably light (less than 25 lbs. fully loaded). Brake and gear tweaking I can do on my own, and quite honestly, I think I would have to do that on higher end bikes, as well. I don't need a super stiff frame or super silent and smooth shifting.

I'm leaving for the U.S. tomorrow for a week visit, so I'm gonna grab some stuff off the Peugeot to bring back, including clipless pedals, airstick, underseat bag, and computer. I just have to buy a new mount for the computer. I don't feel like taking the mounts off either the Peugeot or my Cannondale.

Neurotic as I am, buying a bike doesn't just mean buying a bike. I'm wondering what it means. The idea was that when I return to the U.S., I would sell this bike, but what if I grow attached to it? So there's an attachment issue. A material items issue.

Expenditure of money that isn't mine? That's kind of an issue. It relates to the suicide issue, but not really. I'm over that. That's one thing I'm working on not being neurotic about anymore. Suicide in relationship to stuff and relationships with people is a non-issue.

It's good to be riding again, even though since coming to Taiwan, I've actually gotten my running back up to speed regularly for the first time since the 1999 marathon injury. I thought I'd never be a runner again, but the distances, times, and frequency that I've been doing runs has matched or exceeded what I was doing before that injury.

Running is still deeper in my soul and identity, but I like the distances travelled by riding. Far more interesting. Plus I can carry a camera when riding. I went out this morning with my Pentax on my back, although I should get a lightweight skin if I'm going to subject it to baking under the Taiwan sun while on my back.

Yea, so a week in New Jersey. Not a lot. If I can extend it without having to pay more I will. I don't know what I was thinking, going for only 10 days. Anyway, leave me your number if you want me to call you. Sadie did.

WEDNESDAY, JULY 18, 6:26 a.m. - Riding down the left bank of the Xindian River again.
6:41 a.m. - Huajiang Bridge is the last bridge crossing the Xindian River before it drains into the Danshui. The Shin Kong Mitsukoshi landmark building in Taipei visible at the left. As for the bikeway, this is pretty much as far as it goes before hitting construction. Beyond where the bikeway ends, there's the Dahan River that also drains into the Danshui, so theoretically the bikeway might continue once the construction is done.
6:42 a.m. - Wanban, Huacui and Guangfu bridges a little further up the Xindian River. Yes, there are three bridges in this shot. The Wanban is the closest with the cool arches, the Huacui is very plain and utilitarian, and the Guangfu is the furthest with the red . . . things. I don't know what kind of bridge it is.
6:43 a.m. - The construction is extensive and not likely to be completed anytime soon.
JULY 19, 6:35-6:43 a.m. - Rode up through Fudekeng Cemetery and came down the road that goes down the south side of the mountain to Muzha. Halfway down there's this park in the middle of nowhere with these curious sculptures. I don't know anything about them.




Morning dew on spider webs in the grass may be pretty, but still a big NOPE for me.
Pentax ZX-5n, Kodak BW400CN.