Tuesday, July 24, 2007

July 20-24

Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey
FRIDAY, JULY 20 - My, what a big nose you have!
4:58 p.m. - Mouth of the Danshui River.
SATURDAY, JULY 21, 3:57 a.m. Taiwan Time or Eastern Standard? I need a standard practice for when to reset the camera clock during long-haul flights. But when? An hour into a flight, an hour before arrival, halfway through? Might be Alaska, might be the Rockies. Anyway, somewhere it was 3:57 a.m. when I took this.
4:27 p.m. - Edgewater, NJ.
4:42-4:46 p.m. - Fort Lee Historic Park. Fort Lee was an actual Revolutionary-era fort named after General Charles Lee, a rival of sorts to George Washington. Fort Washington was across the river on what is now the Washington Heights area of Manhattan. 
10:41 p.m. - Home is where your drum kit lies.
SUNDAY, JULY 22, 6:56 p.m. - Hudson River from my brother's condo, Fort Lee, NJ.
6:58 p.m. - Three New York icons, Circle Line, Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Grey Bridge. Long digital zoom. 
JULY 24, 3:46 p.m. - Grant's Tomb and the Riverside Church from Edgewater, N.J. 
4:21 p.m. - spy shooting.
Nikon N70, Kodak BW400CN. And now for a break in seemingly real-time commentary. From an undisclosed time in the future (hint: a sack of shit is in the White House. Actually, no. I would've voted for a sack of shit over him), I'm trying to figure out my camera use history for personal reasons. I'd been using both Pentax ZX-5n and Nikon N70 alternatively in Taiwan. About half of this roll was shot with the N70 in July 2007, but then the remaining frames are marked as having been shot in January 2008. So the evidence suggests that I left the N70 in New Jersey after this visit. For the rest of 2007, I only shot with the ZX-5n in Taiwan. All of 2008 was also shot with the Pentax except for the end of this roll during a visit in January, suggesting the N70 also remained in New Jersey after that visit. In early 2009, there's a Taiwan roll that I have to guess is the Pentax, but after that roll is a roll shot in the U.S. with the N70. I think it was then that I left the Pentax in New Jersey and took the N70 back to Taiwan for the rest of my film shooting days. 2010 is largely unspecified, which would mean it was so obvious that I was only using the N70 that I didn't need to note it. OK, that sounds like me.

A final mystery is that I only have 24 frames from this roll in my archives, and Kodak BW400CN doesn't come in 24 rolls, only 36. It will have to be an even futurer search to look for what happened to those 12 frames, if they exist, which would cover as much as two weeks of my January 2008 visit to New Jersey.

Finally, the fact that I left this roll half shot in New Jersey may be an indication that I wasn't happy with what I was shooting. I wasn't expecting anything of it and it could wait to be developed in the future. And I do have to say I have mixed feelings about it, but it's not as bad as what is suggested by saying it's not worth developing right away. In the alternative, it may have been a time capsule idea of shooting a roll and then leaving it for the future to be developed. That's happened accidentally before, so maybe I was doing it intentionally this time.

Edgewater, N.J.


From my brother's condo, Fort Lee, N.J.
I stared at this for a long time, repeatedly rotating it before accepting it, rotated 90 degrees and rejecting a cropped, unrotated version.
This is a frame I tried hard to dismiss, but kept liking it more every time I tried to pinpoint the problems (mostly technical) with it. Mixed feelings, I said.