Thursday, January 24, 2008

I met up with Hyun Ae last night for the first time since October. We went to see the new Wang Kar-Wai film My Blueberry Nights. I wanted to see it because Norah Jones is butter-meltingly gorgeous, and the trailer used Cat Power's The Greatest. I had no idea it was the new Wang Kar-Wai film, and I couldn't even guess when Hyun Ae was telling me what her co-workers were telling her about how the director has a really strange style and was from Hong Kong.

When Wang Kar-Wai's name came up on the screen I almost fell out of my chair and I tried to communicate to Hyun Ae in a fraction of a second, without distracting from the fact that the film was rolling, that Wang Kar-Wai is one of the greatest directors of our time, and when I predicted several years ago that in the future film schools would have entire curriculums on Wang Kar-Wai, was told some already do.

I think I said, "Gaw!", jabbing frantically towards the screen.

Yes, my blueberry nights with Hyun Ae she has no idea about. That I have no idea about. Wang Kar-Wai films are more about impression than narrative, and the song "The Greatest", also more about impression than what Chan Marshall is singing. Chan Marshall is in the film, by the way, and it only hit me when the character says the word "sentiment" that it was Chan Marshall.

And Hyun Ae is only impression to me. She's not about desire, she's not about wanting, not even sentiment. She's just an impression of those things. I neither desire nor want her. I just love blueberry, it's one of my favorite flavors, and was drinking lychee-blueberry juice during the film that Hyun Ae had paid for.

I wanted to tell Hyun Ae, "Once I wanted to be the greatest, no wind or waterfall could stall me. And then came the rush of the flood, the stars at night turned deep to dust, melt me down into big black armor. Leave no trace of grace, just in your honor", and then I would kiss the bits of blueberry pie from her lips as she lay sleeping, exhausted.

SATURDAY, JANUARY 19, 1:11 p.m. - Jingmei River default shot.
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 23, 5:46 p.m. - Miramar Mall in Dazhi with Hyun Ae.
Unknown, Taipei - Pentax ZX-5n, Ilford XP2 Super.