Monday, March 15, 2010

I had an unexpected meet up with my cousin yesterday. She really needs to learn to plan things in advance. She and her husband were coming up to Taipei for a wedding and they decided to take along their 5-year-old daughter, Gracie, who happens to be my favorite niece since I met her when she was 8 months old.

They were already on the high speed rail when she called me and told me all of her aunts and uncles and cousins were unavailable and could I look after Gracie for several hours. I gladly accepted, being flattered that after all those people, the first person she thought of was me! But it worked out because I was already out shooting, and therefore not drunk, and the time frame she gave me was acceptable.

I'm not good with kids, I don't really like kids, but I love Gracie. I probably would have declined if it was Pie, and my cousin hopefully would know better than to even ask me to take care of Pie for several hours. Don't get me wrong, I love Pie, too, but I consider her high maintenance (what most people might call "normal", I shouldn't wonder). Gracie is distinctly low maintenance. She's a beagle.

And I had a lot of fun with her. We spent the whole evening in their hotel room, and I basically let her do what she wanted, didn't force her to do anything she didn't want to do. I didn't force her to go to the night market down the street and we watched cartoons and I gave her control of the remote.

And most importantly, she entertained me. I hate taking care of kids when it's a task or an ordeal, but if they're providing the entertainment, count me in. And she's so funny and cute and free-spirited, she fit the bill.

She did this thing when she would start screaming or shrieking annoyingly, but then she'd suddenly stop and put her finger in front of her mouth and go, "shh...shh...shh". And then she'd crack up laughing. I imagine this was something she put together in her head from maybe shrieking at school and then the adults would quiet her down, going "shhhhh". Gracie put it together into a little act and was so pleased at it she would end up cracking herself up over it. Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was hilarious every time she did it.

And I let her do things her parents might not have been pleased about. She would stand precariously on the railing of the crib the hotel provided (it was against a wall she could lean on) and sing a version of "Santa Clause is Coming to Town" while doing a cute little dance which always ended with her launching herself onto the bed.

I did notice the last time I went to New Jersey, I had little connection with my brothers' children and didn't make any effort to spend time with them. They aren't the entertaining type, they're more of a task, requiring attention. But I did think afterwards I should have extended myself more to help take care of them or make a connection. Well, I had my reasons as to why not.

Maybe I'll make it to another visit to New Jersey when it's warmer. I hope there isn't another visit in the cards, but I know myself better than that and can't discount it. But the topic never goes away.

FRIDAY, MARCH 12 - Ride up through Fudekeng cemetery. Rainbow V 22mm lens toy camera, Ilford XP2 Super.
5:13-5:14 p.m.
5:26-5:28 p.m - Coming down the south side of the mountain and going home along the riverside bikeways. I'd be getting home well after dark. 
SUNDAY, MARCH 14 - Out for a photostroll, during which my cousin would call and ask me to take care of Gracie. Nikon N70, Ilford XP2 Super.
Bade 八德 Road parallel to Raohe night market.
Rainbow Bridge

MARCH 15 - The new bus terminal across Civic Blvd. from Taipei Main Station (at the left) and Qsquare mall and movie theater.