Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sitting at home in the dark. Nice weather outside the past two days, although chilly once the sun goes down. In my room, I have swapped out my floor fan for my space heater, but it hasn't gotten so uncomfortable that I've turned it on yet, just wearing more layers when it turns chilly. Nevertheless, entering the dark days of winter; but having reached them, don't care to make it through.

Disturbed sleep was disturbed this morning by an unexpected early morning phone call from my parents asking if I could meet them for lunch at 11:00 (this is a day after I woke up at 7 to meet them at 9), before they headed out of Taipei with their tour group in the afternoon. I thought we had parted ways yesterday and wouldn't see them again before they left to go back to the States on Wednesday. Maybe the last time I'd see them?

Nope, one more time. One last time? There's always gotta be a one last time, just we don't know when. It probably crosses my mind a little more often than most folk, just cause I'm nuts like this. It was a painless enough, even pleasant lunch and we parted ways again with awkward half hugs. What if it was the last time? No smarm. Not a touching, tear-jerking scene. Just "bye".

I took my time going home. Stopped off at a music store in the MRT station since I rode my bike to the nearest MRT station and took the subway to meet the parents. I bought the latest Namie Amuro live DVD.

I don't understand how I've gotten into some pop music since coming to Taiwan. No Taiwanese pop, I still hate Western pop. The only J-pop act I like is Namie Amuro, but I've liked individual songs by other pop singers. And the rash of K-pop girl groups I've gotten rabidly into is still totally inexplicable.

I insist it's because the basic songs are very good, and that's what I'm listening for, but for some reason I'm not repulsed by the pop sheen, which is usually the case. I sure hope it's not a middle-age man crisis and subconsciously lusting after girls half my age. After all, I'm not getting into boy bands. That would be ... odd. Actually, I'm pretty damn sure that's not it, it's gross, it was gross in "American Beauty".

And I still can't stand even the girl groups in Taiwanese and J-pop, so it is something specific about the K-pop writers and producers that's doing it for me. Maybe it's fate, and even though nothing about Korean culture has resonated with me in the past, this is part of a transformation, preparing me for what I'm expecting will be a re-birth in South Korea. What? Who? Where?

But I took my time going home. I even got off the MRT a stop before where my bike was locked. I even had my camera and snapped a few frames for the first time since travels two months ago...

...sleep deprived, I don't remember a whole lot after I got home, but likely much of the next 18 or more hours had something to do with my bed. Having no reason to get out of it probably a contributing factor. The cold also a factor.

From Nat'l Taiwan University Hospital guesthouse where my parents have been staying. Nikon N70, Ilford XP2 Super, last roll of film photography.
Vacant city block south of The Living Mall and Civic Blvd. The smokestack is from the old tobacco factory, I think.
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 17, 8:47 p.m. - Walking home from the library.