Thursday, February 24, 2011

random bits and pieces

Fuck, no, today is not happening. Not that there's anything wrong with it, just bring me tomorrow.

Window is temporarily closed for about a month, but that's a pile a shit. I've got my fingers on the pulse of every day. Again. That's also a pile of shit. And this window is a pile of shit, too. Something's going to thwart this, too. I'm enjoying listening to music way too much to not be distracted and attached to it to a fault.

Six hours yesterday with iPod earbuds in was not sensible and was too much. Don't do that again. Hearing in my right ear is patchy today and even computer speakers volume up hurts a little. And I notice the missing frequencies.

I'm not worried about my hearing, it's pretty good about recovering. If, however, noticeable hearing loss became permanent, I don't think I'd complain. Complaining would be stupid. I was a musician and I used to be concert-going, and despite protecting my ears, there's only so far that goes. Hearing loss is expected. It's payment for what I enjoyed.

The extended music listening yesterday was because I sat planted in the bookstore finishing reading "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho on several people's recommendations. Good, but of this metaphysical genre, I still like "The Little Prince" and "Illusions" better. No one dies in "The Alchemist". Well, there's your problem!

Yesterday I also had a "Dude! Where's my denim jacket?!" moment. How the fuck do you lose a denim jacket? Did it fall off while I was walking down the street? (somehow this made more sense than the possibility that I left it somewhere accidentally). But I backtracked my steps from the day before and recovered it from a pizzeria (Napoli on Bade Rd.), including camera, although the photos had been perused. They got bored when they reached my Hualien shots. Fair 'nuff.

Two things: I was totally surprised I recovered it. I expected it to be a loss. Two: in the U.S., even if I recovered the jacket, the camera would've been gone. Taiwan:2, U.S.: 0. And three: I wasn't that drunk.

And four: On one of my previous digital cameras, I took a picture of my contact information with a message of compensation for return of the camera. I don't know if it would work, but maybe I should do that again. Or not. I just don't care anymore.

I still don't "get" the seasons in Taiwan. Taipei, rather. Growing up in New Jersey and college in Ohio, the four seasons were well-defined, and I eventually realized I didn't have a favorite season, I just loved the change of seasons. Each transition was wonderful and lovely in its own way.

San Francisco had three seasons, although one was split in two. Summer was the foggy season. You could always tell who the tourists were in the summer because they were wearing shorts and t-shirts. And shivering. Spring and autumn were the nice season – nice temps, sunny skies. Winter was the rainy season.

But Taipei, I still don't get. Winters are cool, if not downright cold, and during the winters I can't imagine that Taipei could be a hot place. And that's what it is during the summer. Sweltering hot. Oppressive hot. Hot that makes me balk at going on rides at midday.

But during the summer heat, I can't imagine that in winter bundling up and heaters are required. Taipei doesn't make sense to me and I have no sense about when or how the transitions occur. I just know that summers are fucking hot, which I adore, and winters are nasty cold and rainy and mold grows everywhere.

If I gave Taipei another five years, I might start to understand it, but, inshah'allah, I'm not going to give Taipei another five fucking years.

I think I just condemned myself to another five years in Taipei. Well if so be it, bring me wenches!!

5:38 p.m. - BaDe Rd., sec. 4