Thursday, February 17, 2011

Tais Toi Mon Coeur (Dionysos):


Last month I linked a video in a fotolog post and one of my contacts, a total stranger, responded with an interest in the artist, so I offered to send her copies of the CDs of hers that I was planning to buy at that time because I had seen they were on sale.

It was a Japanese singer named UA. I don't know how big she is in Japan, but I don't think she's as big as names like Salyu and Chara. I thought there was a good chance she might be difficult to find in France.

In return, this mademoiselle sent me three CDs of popular music in France. The above video is one of the bands I've quite taken to, but I really like everything she sent. Another band is called Noir Désir, who is apparently France's premier rock band - the equivalent of what I call Southern All-Stars in Japan. Pretty much everyone who knows anything about music knows their name.



The third CD she sent was just a mix of some of her favorite songs, not limited to French music. The first song I recognized was "Hurdy Gurdy Man" by Donovan, which I don't have in my collection, but then I wondered whether there would be anything on the CD that I already did have in my collection.

I was totally floored when the one song she included that I do have in my collection is a Kristin Hersh song (Your Ghost)!  OK fine, I know that doesn't mean anything to anyone, but Throwing Muses is one of my top five favorite bands of all time. Kristin Hersh's expression has gotten me through a lot of hard times.

I've seen Throwing Muses or Kristin Hersh live every chance I could get. It's an emotional connection that I'm not alone in. We TM/KH fans are a rabidly loyal bunch. We LOVE Kristin. Also David, Bernard and Tanya, but especially Kristin, I think.

Good ol' mix CD music exchanges. I'm totally into exchanging entire music libraries on external hard drives with people, but as Tako said, "I only have two ears!". It can be tiring sludging through entire music collections, and friendly CDs therein have the advantage.

Sending things through the post is also a nice novelty in this digital age. Of course, I'm ripping these CDs onto iTunes, but it's still nice to have these physical CDs. Someone took the care enough to go through the effort to make and send them.