Sunday, May 22, 2011

Now I'm reading "The Lovely Bones" at the bookstore. Needless to say, it is very different from the movie, which I now consider utter rot. How could Alice Sebold entrust a director like Peter Jackson with this kind of material. I guess someone who had read the book might read what they know about the book into the movie and find it palatable, but going the other way around, the movie is a total miss.

I'm walking around these days in devout contemplation of the world without me and it's beautiful. Strains of the unbearable flirt at the fringes of my existence again but there's a euphoria about it. I also saw "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" at the bookstore and read the first few pages and made a note to re-read it after I'm done with Lovely Bones.

The Lovely Bones is really good, but a lot of what's good is in the concept; it's kind of a gimmick, it's a cute story of a 14-year-old who is raped and murdered by a serial killer. Reading those first few pages of Unbearable Lightness of Being made me think of the difference between the two works, and that maybe Kundera's writing is what qualifies his book as literature.

But that's uncomfortable territory for me, I'm not the literary type. And why all this judging and judgmentalizing anyway? Where did I get that from? I did see the movie of Unbearable Lightness of Being before I read the book, and I loved the movie and I loved the book and the book didn't detract from the movie when I saw it again.

Which is different from one of my favorite books of all time, Catch-22, where I saw the movie first, loved the movie, read the book, loved the book, watched the movie again and didn't quite like it as much.

My laptop is on its last legs, so I'm not online much these days. It's 6 years old. Right now it's perched precariously on top of a portable fan pointing straight up, and with the battery removed, and I'm seeing how long it will last like this before it fitzes out again, which I'm expecting.

If it doesn't fitz out, I can replace the broken internal cooling fan, but I'm not sure a new battery will fix the (I'm guessing) voltage or electrical circuitry problem, which may have been initially caused by the broken fan and overheating. Anyway, it appears to be a compound problem and I'm thinking I just need to suck it up and buy a new laptop. Even though I can imagine the world without a new laptop and it's beautiful.