Wednesday, February 01, 2012

I dunno. It just seems sort of surreal or even insane that K-pop girl group Girls' Generation are going to be musical guests on the Late Show with David Letterman on the night of January 31st. Even as I type this at 3 AM in Taiwan on February 1st local (2 PM, Jan 31st, EST), I suspect they are preparing to head to the Ed Sullivan Theater for the performance.

True, Girls' Generation are the leading K-pop girl group in Korea and likely all of Asia. True, I'm a fan of their cult of personality and will watch any Korean variety or reality show that they appear on. True, I think most of the songs they promote are quite good and worthy, given what it is – pop music.

But I also know U.S. racism, and I also know the Letterman audience, and I wonder if SNSD know that this might be a make or break performance.

K-pop boy band Big Bang winning MTV's European world band award in Dublin and girl group 2NE1 winning MTV's Iggy award for best new band both make sense compared to any idea that SNSD will be well-accepted by Letterman's viewership.

Even Western pop music has no credibility on the Letterman stage.

No doubt they will be performing their latest track, The Boys, and since they recorded it in English for their last CD, I suspect they put in extra practice to perform it in English. As I've opined before, The Boys is the only song they've promoted after I got into them with "Gee" that I think isn't great. It's OK, it's alright, it's not great.

And aside from their promoted tracks, their albums and releases are largely filler. In my earlier days of being harsh about pop music, I would have considered the vast majority of their output, none of which they have any creative input or control over, total crap. There, I said it.

Like I said, I've been drawn into their cult of personality, I know what they're worth and I love them and wish upon them success, but I'm definitely worried about their reception.

I predict easily over 50% of the audience will view their performance slack-jawed thinking, "wtfits?". Some lesser percentage will be intrigued and go, "huh, that was interesting". Some unknown percentage factor will be the hardcore K-pop/SNSD fans in the New York/New Jersey area that no doubt heard about their appearance and did everything they could to get into the audience that evening.

I predict less than 1% will see the performance and be intrigued and interested enough to look into them more and become fans. If I never came to Asia and gotten into K-pop, and saw this performance of The Boys on Letterman, truth be told, I doubt I would be taken in either. Strangely, I would also consider that my loss.

I hope I'm wrong and that times have changed and people are more open, and I'm glad that if Letterman chooses to talk to them, members Tiffany and Jessica are both Korean American and would be able to field questions and respond in a way that doesn't make them appear completely foreign to the audience.