Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Redefining a "total insomnia" night, it's not necessarily not being able to get to sleep at all, but also includes a night of both front-end and back-end insomnia. Last night I consider total insomnia.

It was more than the scare I had a couple nights ago. It manifested ultimately in a long period of time laying in bed listening to music, having turned off the sleep timer. I did eventually fall asleep, but at what point I have no idea.

Then after 6 o'clock, after two and a half, three maybe hours of sleep, I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep at all and listened to CDs in their entirety. Back-end insomnia. Both of them equal total insomnia.

Since this is the first night of insomnia for this bout, if it turns out to be a bout, I was alright after getting up. Actually I didn't do what I've said I should've done, which is once 9 o'clock comes around, get up and do morning sitting.

At 9, I still lay on my bed seeing if sleep would come and for two hours, every twenty minutes or so I would wake up from a dream, having fallen into a shallow sleep.

I'm not sure if those two hours were restful, but I ended going on a 35 mile ride and was fine, except for the heat. It was really, really hot again and by the end of the ride I was really struggling. When I got home I focused on getting my core temperature down, and accomplishing that, I was fine. The effects of insomnia are cumulative, though, so that's no surprise.