Friday, March 17, 2017

I haven't gone jogging for almost two weeks. Part of the reason has been weather, either rain or cold has prevented. The rest of the reason is probably weather-related as Taipei is transitioning into spring.

Temperatures have been poking upwards, but it's still been pretty dreary, contributing to depressive states, and part of me is waiting for a weather breakthrough to get out jogging again. Sunlight would be nice.

This prolonged break also serves the purpose of lowering my fitness so that when I do go out again, I necessarily have to go slow and not press speed and risk injuring my Achilles again.

I'm still committed to several months more of jogging (9-minute mile range) 4 mile courses. I remember starting last summer persevering through sluggishly slow (10 minute+ miles) 3 milers because I had to; I couldn't go any faster. So I have to be patient before trying to go faster.

My fitness is at a point where I could go faster into 8-minute mile range runs, but my Achilles would risk injury at that pace. In a way it's kinda nice being able to force myself to go slower.

I'm also keeping an eye on when to get on my bike again. I think I might be bored with cycling, but I want to give riding another go. Daytime temps and rain are what will control cycling. I've also changed my sleep since last year so that I can ride in the morning hours and be back home before the preventative afternoon heat. I'm assuming the scorching past few summers is a trend and not about to let up.