Sunday, February 17, 2002

On Birthdays:

"as for those things that act as markers in your life
but in-between you can't remember
and so it seems that you've grown up and over me
and these silly things I like to dwell on

test sites keep me up at night
chainlink + meters, I talk to you
it's cold out there but I'm telling you
i'm lonely too"
(Rilo Kiley - "Science vs. Romance")


I love Rilo Kiley. Not a single person I know has even ever heard of them. Indie-pop from L.A. with hints of twee and maybe a country twang in the vocals, but some of the finest song-crafting I've heard of late. www.rilokiley.com

We initially celebrate birthdays to mark progress, maturity, and accomplishment, but then we keep on "celebrating" birthdays even after progress, maturity, and accomplishment have dried up.

Some people say it never dries up, and they boldly go into advanced stages of life with dignity, reverent of old age. Good for them.

I think it would be nice to know what day I'm going to die and start celebrating that day each year as an approach to a goal, the day when everyone can raise a glass and say, "congratulations, you made it. godspeed, whiny bastard." (wipe away a tear and smile a whimsical smile).

But no, we live our lives not knowing the day we are going to die, so that on the day before we die, we never live it like it's our last day here.