Thursday, February 14, 2002

What kind of firm do I work at? It's a place that executes a series of Godfather-like lay-offs between 9 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon with no warning whatsoever. I hear the Godfather theme playing as I imagine HR going around whacking people. Sometimes entire teams, including attorneys.

When they realized that there were going to be lay-offs, they should have announced it. They could make it as vague as hell, but give some warning. The Sword of Damacles hanging over the entire staff for a month is worth the feeling betrayal of the few who ultimately get the axe without any warning.

There were some people who survived the lay-offs who make a fat salary, and people were wondering why they didn't get it (there were good workers with high salaries who got whacked). It's because they're made. They're untouchable. Me? I'm like Joe Pesci in "Goodfellas", I get to the verge of being made, and then they friggin' WHACK me!!