Wednesday, July 28, 2004

I knew I had written before what I wrote about in my previous post. Still not as in depth as it could be, but at least I'm consistent in my descriptions, I think.

I believe in God, but not in a being that is God, nor a higher power that is God. A lot of people might say right there that I, in fact, don't believe in God; I've just twisted and distorted my definition of God to encompass what might really be an agnostic or atheist position.

For me, God starts with us. Or me. Or Me. From there it spreads like a quantum wave encompassing every little, iddy biddy, tiny bit of the fabric of all existence, non-existence, all that can be known plus whatever amount of what can't be known.

In a way, I see cosmology as an ongoing scientific study of or search for God.

In fact, as soon as you say "God", you've already missed it by trying to grasp it, control it, own it, know it, unless your conception of God is such that when you hear the word "God" it blows up like a supernova, and you lose any attached conception of God, especially any "religious" conception of God. It's probably no coincidence that this is more or less the same as enlightenment in Buddhism.

But I digress. The important facet is that it starts with me. Or Me. And no religious doctrine, canon, principle, or belief should stop me from realizing that for everybody else, it starts with them. Or Them. Not that it does, since others have their own conception of God and probably don't want me imposing my conception of God on them.

But it means that no religious doctrine, canon, principle, or belief should ever be exalted over Them. Especially when dealing with Them. Face to face. That is all. And that's only where it starts.

Northern Exposure Quote of the Day:
Joel: Hello, O'Connell.
Maggie: What do you want?
Joel: I just wanna talk.
Maggie: So talk.
Joel: Could you put the ax down, please?

Oh, and gmail gets the big donkey shaft from me.