Sunday, July 18, 2004

A meme that I got from Infinitely Pie:
1. Where were you when you heard that Ronald Reagan died?
June 5, 2004. Don't know, didn't care. And with flags all over the place still at half shaft, I don't care even more now. Put the flags at full shaft already, which is what he gave people with AIDS and poor people.

2. Where were you on September 11, 2001?
September 11, 2001. Living at 1557 Noe St. in San Francisco. Woke up to my radio alarm clock saying a plane had flown into the World Trade Center. I imagined a small plane crashing into one of the towers by accident. When I woke up next, I heard that one of the towers had collapsed. I jumped off my loft bed, taking most of the blankets with me, and ran into the living room to turn on the TV.

3. Where were you when you heard that Princess Diana died?
August 31, 1997. Living at 198 Shakespeare St. in Daly City. I came home one night and my conservative, white guy dating, classical music playing, Japanese roommate had it on the TV. It was very sad.

4. Do you remember where you were when you heard Kurt Cobain had died?
April 5, 1994. Living at 247 19th Ave. in San Francisco. I wasn't a
Nirvana fan yet. I liked everything I heard on the radio, but I was waiting to see if they were a passing fad. His suicide made me realize they weren't a passing fad, that he was the real deal, and I went to Amoeba that day and bought as many used CDs of theirs as I could find.

5. Take one for The Gipper: What’s your favorite flavor of jelly bean?
I'm partial to the Alzheimer flavored ones. Bastard.

6. Where were you when Magic Johnson announced he was retiring from the NBA due to AIDS?
Ironically, after all that lambasting Reagan, I don't know. I'm not a basketball fan. But I recall watching an appearance on the Arsenio Hall Show about it. Does that sound right?

7. Where were you when Reagan was shot?
March 30, 1981. I was in 6th grade at Englewood Cliffs Upper School. When I heard the news, I believe I was in science class. This would have been several months after John Lennon was assassinated. I didn't know who John Lennon was. I was in wood-working when classmate David Gibbons asked, "Did you hear about that guy who was shot like 6 times and his wife who was right next to him wasn't touched?"

8. Where were you when the Challenger exploded?
January 28, 1986. I was a Junior in high school and I had just gotten home after noon from a final that I had that morning. It was sunny and cold. Chris Grantham, a singer in a group I jammed in, called and asked, "Am I seeing what I'm seeing on TV?", I said, "I don't know, what are you seeing on TV?", he said, "I think you should turn on your TV", "What channel?", "Any channel".

9. Where were you when the OJ verdict was announced?
October 3, 1995. I tried to ignore it since I detest media hype. I was probably at law school when I overheard the news in a hallway. I remember one person's assessment of it saying maybe it wasn't right, but it was just, referring to the history of injustice that black people have endured in this country and continue to face. I didn't disagree with that assessment.

10. Where were you when the Berlin Wall fell?
November 9, 1989. I was at Oberlin College. I actually don't remember paying much attention to it, although I'm sure I was living in Third World House. Residents were allowed to take their dinner trays out of the dining hall and we would watch the evening news in the TV room. I remember watching the news about it there.