Sunday, June 10, 2007

Rain. Is that all it takes to take me out? To turn me into a withering, simpering, sad excuse of existence, even more pathetic than usual? If that's so, then I really don't deserve to be here. See? All roads lead in one direction. For all of us really.

Watching clips from a bunch of graduation speeches at Commencements around the country made me wonder about what it takes to be somebody worthy to give a Commencement pep talk. Stars and luminaries telling these fresh-faced graduates about what's actually not ahead of them, but that they should strive for it anyway.

But then I thought, all they're saying is to be someone. Be someone to somebody. And that is the easiest thing in the world. Be someone to somebody, and you can make a world of difference, and even if it's just one life, it's worth it. You're just as worthy.

And wow, it's the easiest thing in the world, and I can't even do it. I can't accomplish being anything to anybody. I'm not saying I haven't been something to people, that I haven't made a difference to someone. Just based on odds, I must have.

But the world I've created for myself, I can just walk away and no one would notice. That's by design. Even people I've made a difference to in the past wouldn't know if I disappeared, because I already did. That's by design. Why don't I take advantage of it?

Let the rain keep coming, and I just might. The rain just doesn't stop, and I feel every drop that hits the ground.