Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sanzhi ride

55 mile Sanzhi ride, basically the loop on the left-hand side of the map comprised of the orange (101) and green (2) lines. It doesn't include the 18 mile ride up to this part of the ride (to Danshui) and back home. This map is at Qianshui Bay taken at 4:30 p.m.
3:10 p.m. - County road 101. I took the riverside bikeway towards Danshui but got off at the Hongshulin MRT station access and took provincial highway 2 until 101 and turned right. It's a climb, actually going higher than the Linkou plateau, but it's a very easy grade. 
3:14 p.m. - Wuji Tianyuan temple off County Rd. 101.
3:41 p.m. - I shot this previously on a night ride and wondered what it was. It's a cemetery in Sanzhi township. It's near the top of the climb which my altimeter watch indicated as 1,028 ft., so higher than Linkou. 
4:01 p.m. - Another shot I had taken previously on the night ride. The Sanzhi 三芝 township sign after descending into the town, but leaving it via Rte. 2.
4:07-4:10 p.m. - Gende Waterwheels Park. Definitely not something I would've noticed on the previous night ride. 
4:11-4:13 p.m. - The namesake waterwheels. I don't know what these waterwheels are or what the parks are about, but apparently this is not the only one in the area.
4:20-4:22 p.m. - Stopping just before Qianshui Bay to shoot this derelict building through barb wire. When I pass this again 11 days later on another ride, it will be obscured by black cloth wrapping the barb wire.
4:28 p.m. - Qianshui Bay 淺水灣 where I took the photo of the map. This is where the band used to gig in a restaurant on a stretch of road along the beach. It always was a haul getting here and this ride places it in context.

6:01-6:03 p.m. - Back on the Danshui riverside bikeway heading home. This is a new section that recently opened that runs closer to the water. It didn't take an hour and half to get here from Qianshui Bay. I stopped at Eddy's Cantina, a Mexican restaurant in Danshui because with Mexican food so rare in Taiwan, no opportunity to go to a really good one should ever be missed. The girl in the bottom pic walked into a shot I was already composing. I swear I wasn't being a creeper.
6:29 p.m. - Sun setting behind Guanyin Mt. from Shilin District. I arrived home in the dark over a half hour later. I totally ran out of fuel and bonked about 4 miles from home along the Neihu bank of the Keelung River and limped the rest of the way home. Bonking sucks, but better to bonk closer to home than farther away.