Thursday, September 05, 2002

civilized people:
I was about to blow through a stop sign because it was a stop sign that bikes usually don't have to stop for. On the bike side is a restricted parking lot, and almost no one pulls into it, so we treat it as a T-intersection where we're safely riding across the top of the T.

But today as I came along side a truck, I didn't see the car with the right of way pulling into the lot. I jammed hard on my brakes, she slowed to a stop, I waved an apology acknowledging I was completely in the wrong, and she waved acceptance and drove into the lot.

Isn't that the way it's supposed to be? No flipping birds, no angry words, no obnoxious looks. I made a mistake, it was my responsibility to apologize. I apologized, it was her responsibility to accept. No harm done.

That's what I say when I have the right of way, and someone gets in my way and then says, "Sorry". For a brief flash I might think, "Fucker!", but then I'll say, "No harm" and go on my merry way.