Friday, September 27, 2002

I'm re-reading In the Absence of the Sacred by Jerry Mander. His other books include Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television, which is paraphrased in this book. I don't fully agree with his farther-left-than-mine perspective anymore (really, I'm not that far left), and I read his "Seven Negative Points About Computers" chapter with a grain of salt.

But I'm happy to say that I'm home and have been and my television remains OFF. It's scary how that emphasizes that the unwavering norm has been for me to get home and click on the TV, even just as background noise. Not even noise, half the time it's on mute, and I mostly mute the commercials. Just something else. TV = evil

Homer: "You're welcome to watch anything on TV."
Bart: "TV sucks!"
Homer: "I know your upset right now, so I'll pretend you didn't say that."