Monday, September 30, 2002

pomo:
The Matrix is on TV. This is the second time I'm seeing the movie, and it's on TV. I didn't see the movie in the theaters. Once when I was visiting New Jersey, my brother was amazed that I hadn't seen it. He raved about it. When DVD's hit the market, The Matrix was one of the first ones he bought. He made me watch it on my parents' big screen.

I'm glad he made me watch it, it's a good movie. But at that time I was taking Jurisprudence class and was being steeped in post-modernism, as I got lucky enough to cover the topic of "pomo and law". The entire premise of The Matrix was post-modernism, or rather my understanding of it, in a nutshell, fitted into a science fiction story. Fucking brillig.

Anyway, I wasn't able to appreciate the movie for what it was because I was too busy intellectualizing its post-modern premise. I still can't appreciate it for the action film that it is because I'm still fascinated by the premise, because post-modernism just strikes a chord with me.

I don't believe in this physical reality that surrounds us accepted as "real". I think of it as symbolic. We create it. I see life as more of a playground, a matrix that we in a truer form, our true souls, created for whatever reason.

Life and reality don't exist because they exist in some objective context. They exist only in our subjective context, because we think it and believe it. Without us, life and reality don't exist. But that's enough of my belief. Believe it or not, I don't believe that the matrix was created by artificial intelligence 200 years from now as a way of controlling the human species.