Tuesday, May 24, 2005

It is a distinct possibility, if not probability, that I will end up ordaining at Plum Village. I gather this from looking at the patterns in my life. I naturally tend towards personal entropy. My typical MO for making life decisions has been to wait until the last minute then flip a coin (all the while agonizing over the decision, no doubt).

I can trace the pattern back to a relationship I was in once that was so boring that it wasn’t even worth breaking up until eight months after I decided I wanted to break up. It was at that time I floated through law school simply because I found myself there. I didn’t quit my job for more than a year after talking about quitting my job simply because I was there. Same with leaving San Francisco, same with quitting the band I was in, same with coming to the monastery, etc., etc.

So I’m thinking I’m here at the monastery now. If nothing comes up to proactively remove me off the path, I'll most likely just float on through, just being here, which is what I do best, and when it comes time to make a decision to ordain, I'll just say, hey, why not?, this is perfect, this is what I want to do.

Not a great reason to ordain. Also a perfect reason to ordain. Why can't things just be simple? Oh yea, they are. Beautiful.