Thursday, December 22, 2005

Still thinking about death. I almost stopped when I caught the first few minutes of some Barbara Walters crap on primetime TV about Heaven (and likewise death and the afterlife). If it was any indication of popular perception, what a worldly heaven people believe in. It made death so unattractive.  

Fortunately, PBS was re-broadcasting an incredible documentary called From Jesus to Christ, a scholarly piece about the development of the early Jesus movement and how it developed into Pauline Christianity, so I watched that and avoided offending myself further by watching that Baba Wawa drivel. 

I wonder if people really think about death. I lean towards thinking they don't. I wonder if people think about what it means to really think about death. Do they just believe what they're told in church? Do they look deeply into themselves and ask what they really believe? Does what they're told really make sense to them on a deep intuitive level? Does thinking about death relate to why they're writing that check to pay the bill, driving their car, eating dinner? Because it should. 

I have to watch myself, though. I've been recently grappling with the realization that any belief system that distinguishes between right and wrong, meaning my belief system is right and that other belief system is wrong, is automatically rendered...wrong. 

It's hard because I have my thoughts and I think they're right, but as soon as I think they're right, someone else's thoughts and ideas are wrong, and that renders what I'm thinking wrong. And I do think that approach is right. I am trying to suppress an ego-habit of some self rightness granted to my thoughts just because I had them and they make sense to me. 

And really there are so many people out there who are just dead wrong. Doh!