Tuesday, May 30, 2006

week off: dragon boats and kaohsiung

May 26, 9:59 a.m. - Keelung River, Dajia Riverside Park
10:26 a.m. - Shida's dragon boat team. Or could be Shida's Mandarin Training Center's team. Actually that sounds right.
10:36 a.m. - Japanese goth chick and Hyun Ae
10:54 a.m. - under the Dajia Bridge

11:03 a.m. - these two goofballs
11:20 a.m. - Dajia Bridge
12:04 p.m. - Canadian classmate was on the dragon boat team, which is why I think it's the MTC's team, not Shida's which would've been Taiwanese students.
 Kaohsiung visit:
May 28, 10:00 a.m. - From the rooftop of my uncle's building looking west towards Shoushan Mt. The first time I visited here was when I was kid in 1980 when it was my grandparents' building. My cousins Audrey and Gary went to elementary school down there on the left.
Every morning my grandparents would walk down this road and climb Shoushan Mt. to exercise. I don't know a whole lot more about them. They died within months of each other in 1993. 
9:04 a.m. - My cousins' elementary school with construction now going on to build Kaohsiung's MRT subway system. My uncle and aunt are going to have their own MRT station.
11:22 a.m. - visiting another uncle just down the street. His family lives in the house the whole family grew up in before my grandparents built the building my uncle inherited and lives in now. This uncle is actually older, but has a different mother than my grandmother. My grandfather had two wives, so I have two older uncles from the first wife and two uncles from my grandmother. Who I refer to as "my uncle in Kaohsiung" is the oldest of my grandmother's, but third of my grandfather. The youngest sibling/uncle immigrated to New Jersey like my mother, so I've known him since I was young. 
1:44 p.m. - self-portrait on the 7th floor of my uncle's building where I always stay when I visit. He and my aunt live on the top 8th floor. 
5:22 p.m. - My cousin Audrey's daughters Pie and Gracie at my cousin's house about 15 minutes with traffic from my uncle's building.
May 29, 11:07 a.m. - boats under a bridge on Love River, Kaohsiung.
11:17 a.m. - Kaohsiung's dragon boat races, but I didn't know anyone involved.
11:24 a.m. - Love River
11:52 a.m. - Kaohsiung dragon boats have bigger heads than Taipei. That's literally, not metaphorically.
5:07 p.m. - blurry pic of cutie Gracie. She has the cutest squeaky little voice you can only imagine. That's my uncle I cut off. He's a great amateur photographer.

5:11-5:13 p.m. - Precious older sister Pie animating herself for the camera. These are at my uncle's apartment on the 8th floor.
8:08 p.m. - We went to my oldest uncle's (left) house for dinner, also quite close by in Kaohsiung. He's the older brother of the uncle in the earlier pic and lives with his son's family (that's his grandson in orange).
7:49 p.m. - who doesn't appreciate a food pic?
May 30, 10:36 a.m. - OMG, I flew to Kaohsiung and back?! Inconceivable! It's the first and last time I'd fly to Kaohsiung since moving to Taipei because I wasn't clear on the other ways to get from Taipei to Kaohsiung. It cost an extravagant US$150 each way and took about 45 minutes(?). It would be years before the bullet train would open (90 minutes, $45 one way), and in the interim I would try taking the train, but mostly I went by overnight bus.
Pentax ZX-5n, Ilford XP2 Super film:

May 26, under the Dajia Bridge





Kaohsiung:
Construction of the Kaohsiung MRT subway right under my uncle's building (Yanchengpu station)