Thursday, November 23, 2006

Lordy do I hope I'm done with the Mandarin Training Center at Shida University.

I handed in my application for the language program at Taida University on November 1st, and by November 7th I had a very official looking letter in my mailbox telling me I was accepted and what I needed to do.

November 1, 2:17-2:19 p.m. - Taida campus.
I remind myself of the experience I had applying to Shida in February, and I just laugh now. It so fits my entire experience at Shida, the sheer ludicrosity of the school administration and incompetence of the teaching staff I was exposed to. Mind you, there are good teachers there, but it's a total crap shoot getting one, with apparent high probability of getting a crap one.

It would be funny if it wasn't so funny. When I applied to Shida, their application deadline was smack during Chinese New Year celebrations, when everything closes, including DHL, so my application didn't even get there until several days later, and the registration office, so I didn't hear about any action on my application until a few days before I would have had to leave to get there in time!

Taida is a real college campus. It makes Shida look like a community college. I can't wait. The big thing I'm afraid of is if the students are really diligent, serious, and smart, because I'm not. Maybe my so far perceived inability to learn this language will subject me to daily humiliation.

Speaking of humiliation, I finally cut things off with Hyun Ae. In the end, not a good friend. She has "friendship ADD". "Friendship ADD" = not a good friend. I thought we were better friends than casual acquaintances, but she's best friends with whoever is right in front of her, even people she doesn't like.

The last time we went out for lunch, I don't anticipate either of us making an effort to meet up after I switch schools, we were walking along and someone we don't like was coming the other way. She got hooked into talking to her, and I just walked on. She didn't even notice. If she had noticed, she could have used my walking away as an excuse to pull away from that person. If I hadn't gotten stopped by someone else a bit further on, that would have been the last of it, I wouldn't have waited for her. She probably thought I was waiting for her.