Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I'm back in the wrist-slicing drear of Taipei. I decided to leave Kaohsiung early because the family thing peaked in annoyance. I guess it was a rash decision since it was only because of New Years stuff that started getting on my nerves. Family gatherings only emphasize how much I don't belong to any family unit. If I had stuck it out for just a few more days, it probably would've passed. But then there isn't any reason to stay down there for so long anyway. Hyun Ae isn't leaving and there's no need to purge Taipei with an extended leave. All in all, none of it matters. Hyun Ae doesn't matter, family doesn't matter, Kaohsiung doesn't matter, Taipei doesn't matter.

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 2:25 p.m. - I was at a family gathering that wasn't really my family. It was Audrey's family on her mother's side, and true I was her mother's nephew, but she died in 1993 and I had zero cultivated relationship with her family aside from Audrey, who is my family. I was antsy and awkward being there, not belonging there, couldn't even talk to anyone without more awkwardness, so I basically just left. This was a nice, little canal outside the place. I have no idea where it is. I was much more comfortable with the canal.
3:46 p.m. - Deciding I'd had enough of Kaohsiung and New Years (mostly New Years), I hopped on a bus to Kaohsiung Main Station and caught a train to the High Speed Rail station to get a ticket back to Taipei for the next day. Soon, I shouldn't wonder, long gone will be the days when you can lean out of a moving train like this. 
Crossing the Love River. The walkway from an earlier shot that goes under the TRA tracks was from walking along this left bank.
5:09 p.m. - Shin Zuoying TRA station. HSR ticket bought and heading back to Kaohsiung Main Station.
5:14 p.m. - Shin Zuoying HSR station abutting the TRA station. Huh-huh, huh-huh, I said butt. 
High Speed Rail "bullet" trains on the left, TRA train on the right. Nikon N70, Ilford XP2 Super.
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 20 - Final Kaohsiung shooting, Went down to my uncle's street to inspect the New Years street market recovering from the previous night and preparing for the next. My uncle's building is in this shot, tall building just left of center.


1:14 p.m. - My first HSR experience. Taiwan's HSR service just began in early January and connects Taipei Main Station to the Zuoying area of Kaohsiung. The name "Shin Zuoying" station is a nod to Japanese Shinkansen (bullet train) stations, which traditionally were given the "Shin" (new) in front of their names to denote them as Shinkansen stations. Two hours and 10 minutes, and about US$40. Expensive, I'll probably still take the bus in the future, but I needed to get out of Kaohsiung fast. High speed should be fast enough.
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 21 - Back in Taipei. Taida campus main boulevard.