Friday, January 15, 2010

I have one last day at work. Friday – easy day.

For the past month and a half, the copy editing has basically been a one-man show – me. I've been sending pages on my own, and preventing the "help" from doing certain work because if they were doing things that I can do on my own, that was time wasted on things that I wasn't going to do because I was burning myself out getting the main pages out; things that took time, and the "help" were so slow, their pace matched the attention those tasks needed.

And I haven't been impressed by the work they did in editing. Since when is "flied" the past tense of "fly" except in baseball? That went to print.

The "help" I'm referring to are people recruited to do copy editing work, but they were brought on after the previous person left, so there was no time to train them. My ultimatum was that either I train someone or I put out a newspaper, not both. And I'm gonna come across as an asshole, but none of them are as smart as they think they are, none of them have been asking the right questions, and none of them have any idea of the pace they're going to have to work at.

And the management has been so clueless and negligent, I made no effort to make it easier for them when I drop the load in their laps. So much for my more compassion resolution. I have too many issues to be more compassionate.

I won't say never, but that newpaper is really leaving a bad taste in my mouth, and I'll have to be pretty desperate and pathetic to go back unless they do something about that position.

Not many people know that I'm not coming back. Hell, not many people know that I'm going away for three weeks (then not coming back). I generally don't think most people give a rats ass whether I'm there or not to let it be known that I'm basically leaving. Which is probably another good reason to leave.