Sunday, April 18, 2010

I chatted for a bit on Facebook with someone I met a few years back at Deer Park Monastery. He was an Olympic speed skater and he blew me away by his arrival at Deer Park, having ridden his bike from Oceanside to the monastery in Escondido, California.

After many, many moons, when he friended me on Facebook, I felt a little apprehensive since I ended up not ordaining and I'm just doing this ordinary selfish, self-absorbed thing, rather than making that final push towards enlightenment.

Enlightenment has its time. If it's not time, don't bother making the push for it. And both Dustin and I are simply on our own spiritual paths and we'll support each other when we can. The way we met was the connection and we are brothers. We don't judge each other, just give support and remind each other of our connection through the Plum Village monastic system.

I remember Dustin clearly at Deer Park. We were there with Joost and Brother Lai and those connections are solid and clear. They are my anchor if I go astray, but I don't think my path of exploring suicide is going astray.

December 3, 2004 - Deer Park Monastery, Escondido, CA. Me, Dustin and Joost (a doctor from Holland who volunteers his services whenever he could around the world, while also trying to elevate his spiritual level. great guy)