Thursday, April 22, 2010

I started my riding season not long ago as the weather turned to the warmer, but have been putting short posts on Facebook instead of blogging here, which is bad if I'm supposed to be tracking rides I've been on and how I'm doing. I suppose maybe I was fishing for other people who ride, that's the purpose of a "social network", right?, but no luck, and besides I don't know how to ride with other people.

I started my riding season as usual, gradually increasing distances on flats and then progressively tackling hills, starting with easy ones. I was determined to not be lazy about hills this year and aimed to get to harder ones in the least amount of time. Then I tried the hill on Jiuzhuang Road, Sec. 2 in Xizhi, the town sandwiched in between Taipei City and Keelung Port on Taiwan's east coast. It's not a hard hill, vertical climb only 1,148', if Google Earth is to be believed, and not incredibly steep – and I totally couldn't do it and abandoned.

After failing, I actually went back the next day because I didn't like the idea of abandoning because I couldn't do it. If I can't climb, then why ride? I completed the hill, but I went down to the granny gear at the first sign of trouble and stayed there for significant amounts of time, and even worse, I had to traverse – zigzag across the road to decrease the grade of the climb even further – to complete it.

Since then I've retreated from any big climbs. Today, I did a route I've done several times – 47 miles out to the east coast of Taiwan, going through Ruifang to the ocean and heading north to Keelung and then back to Taipei. I did finally find a complete route from Keelung to Taipei that doesn't go on Rte. 5, which is more or less a highway.

No hills, but 47 miles turns out to still be a long way for me. I was struggling at the end, but that's nothing unusual, and once I got to the riverside bikeway in Taipei, it was pretty easy going. I guess the only thing possibly notable was that my skin was a bit splotchy red by then. I don't know if that's indicative or symptomatic of anything.

I think changes in skin color may point to liver problems, but I think that's yellow. Another unusual skin occurrence recently was that I had a little zit recently and didn't think anything of it until it didn't heal after about 3 weeks. Probably infected, but I think I get infected all the time and it's never a big deal.

So then I started putting ointment on it and a band-aid for several days. Since the last time, the area where the band-aid adhesive made skin contact has also splotched up red. No irritation, but obviously some kind of reaction since the rash is in the exact shape of the band-aid adhesive. It may be an allergic reaction, but I've never had an allergic reaction last this long.

Anyway, I was pretty wasted after that ride. Took a long while to cool down and my thigh muscle seized up after I was home to the point that I put Bengay on it, and then got a Bengay burn as a result. That subsided once I washed the Bengay away. I didn't sleep very well afterwards, and I figure this is all part of general health problems that are probably mounting.

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 21, 2:47 p.m. - Qing An Bridge on the way to Ruifang. I know I've posted this bridge before from a night ride.
3:00 p.m. - Ruifang township. Apparently the town roads have been changed.
3:03 p.m. - This is what the Keelung River looks like in Ruifang. A natural place to stop and rest.
3:11 p.m. - From Ruifang is a quick little downhill to the coast. I know I've posted Keelung Mountain with it's peak in the clouds from a previous ride. Can you believe I rode 47 miles on that bike?! I wouldn't either if I were you.
3:20 p.m. - Rte. 2 on the way north to Keelung city. Saddest playground ever.
3:32 p.m.
4:04 p.m. - Ugliest bridge in the world ever. Is that metal mess even functional? I don't think so. Riding out of Keelung on Rte. 5, crossing this bridge put me on the "backroads" all the way back to Taipei. There are still portions with a lot of car traffic, but definitely beats riding on a highway.