Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Brutal couple of days. Low-grade physical issues since I came back from New Jersey have come in succession and psychological issues have probably exacerbated them and led to continued dysfunction. Dysfunction in my life is par for the course, so I really can't be bothered by that.

The past couple of days have been insomnia compounded by persistent hiccups. Why I have these screwball ailments, I don't know. When they come together, I can't help but remind myself of my proverbial end of the line, punctuated by suspicions of imminent liver failure.

For the past few years, I've been rolling with the punches with insomnia; same with persistent hiccups. I've established before that persistent hiccups I consider being sick. They stopped being just hiccups for long periods of time while going about my business, and they started being debilitating; unable to go about my business, unable to concentrate, unable to function.

Prolonged hiccups eventually inevitably start to hurt, and can cause nausea and queasiness, but this was the first time they led to vomiting. Not that I had anything to vomit since my appetite is pretty much gone. All I vomited up was liquid, mostly water and tea, still cold.

I'm currently approaching 60 hours of hiccups. I was hoping they'd abate after around 48 hours, and they did go away for a few hours, but during that time I regularly felt an uncomfortable pressure and tightening in my chest, which is something new, and maybe that should have clued me they weren't over yet.

At the first sign of insomnia tonight, I'm gonna take a pill. I haven't taken a sleeping pill in years.