Saturday, October 17, 2015

mix CD: 2013

The previous 2012 mix set the precedent for double-disc collections. Which was timely since the explosive regional and global popularity of K-pop led to an explosion of releases by old and new groups. With this collection, there was no realistic way of cutting it down to a single disc.

And with the acceptability of double-disc collections comes, for the first time, the inclusion of three tracks by a single group: Girl's Day. Two of the tracks were Number One worthy, but it was the momentum they gathered in 2013 that led them to a number one song in early 2014, which I don't think was such a great track (not included on 2014 mix), but that's what they were leading to and I think deservedly so.

The only strange thing in compiling this set was that I didn't complete it until well into summer of 2014. I just couldn't get it right, but in the summer of 2014, I came upon the track by Pascol on the second disc. I forget how I came upon it, but that was the track that led to everything coming together. I don't know who Pascol is, I don't know what they look like, they don't promote on music shows and there's just not that much information out there on them. But the song had an emotional melody and some cool rapping and I wanted to include it.

I cleared out all the YouTube links before because they were too often taken down and became dead links, but in recent years the corporate entities themselves have been uploading videos and performances which are more likely to be reliable, so I'll link videos that likely won't be taken down.

2013, part one:
1. I Got a Boy (SNSD)
2. 24/7 (2Yoon (4minute))
3. Female President (Girl's Day)
4. Miss You (Tiny-G)
5. No. 9 (T-ara)
6. Gun (Nine Muses)
7. Tell Me Tell Me (Rainbow)
8. Attention (Trouble Maker)
9. Hot & Cold (Jewelry)
10. Recipe (Brown Eyed Girls)
11. Dripping (Clover)
12. Say It To My Face (D-Unit)
13. Modern Times (IU)
14. I Won't Ask (Lee Hyori) (audio only)
15. Fox-like Friends (No More) (f(x)) (lyric video) (official audio)
16. Moya (AOA) (lyric video) (official audio)
17. Tonight (Spica)
18. YooHoo (Secret)
19. Damaged Lady (Kara)
20. Crying (Sistar)
21. You Don't Know Love (K.Will)
22. First Love (After School)
23. What's Your Name? (4minute)

2013, part two:
1. Please Tell Me (Girl's Day)
2. Love Options (BESTie)
3. Study (Stellar)
4. Pretty Pretty (Ladies' Code)
5. V (Lee Jung Hyun)
6. Open the Door (Im Chang Jung)
7. Boogie Man (Hong Jin Young)
8. Give It To Me (Sistar)
9. Fantastic (Secret) (lyric video) (audio only)
10. Yours Mine (AOA) (lyric video) (official audio)
11. Kill Bill (Brown Eyed Girls)
12. Oh My God (NC.A)
13. Be Ambitious (Dal Shabet)
14. Missing You (2NE1)
15. Last Scene (Nine Muses) (lyric video) (official audio)
16. Let's Eat Together Sometime (Pascol)
17. Is It Poppin'? (4minute)
18. Darling of All Hearts (Sunny Hill)
19. Red Shoes (IU)
20. Expect Me (Girl's Day)
21. Mr. Lee (Park Ji Yoon)
22. Bad Girls (Lee Hyori)
23. Tonight (Hyolyn (Sistar)) (lyric video) (official audio)

2012 mix CDs
WordsCharactersReading time