Saturday, May 25, 2002



764-HERO ROCKED!! They're not an easy band to get into. There's nothing catchy about them that would give them the mass appeal and larger audiences that Modest Mouse, Death Cab for Cutie, and Built to Spill, etc. When I first bought their "Get Here and Stay" CD (used) on the strength of their association with Modest Mouse (and did I mention it was used?), it took a while for it to take. I listened to it with a resounding, "eh".

But there was enough that I liked to give it a chance and keep listening to it, and his voice grew on me, the emotion in his voice started resonating, and the hooks started taking. It sucks that they might never make it big. But it also sucked that other of my fave bands of all time, Throwing Muses and Versus never made it big. Oh, is there a pattern here?

Setlist:
1. Terrified of Flight
2. Without Fire
3. Oceanbound
4. Loaded Painted Red
5. Weekends of Sound
6. Skylines
7. At the Surface
8. Photographic Evidence
9. Answers
10. Shoot a 45
11. You Were a Party


Singer John Atkins was manning the merch table when I arrived. I didn't know it was him since I've never seen clear enough pictures of him to recognize him. He was profusely grateful when I bought a t-shirt. How cool is that? He didn't know I bought a second shirt (different color and design) after they played (yes I have two 764-HERO shirts).