Thursday, October 31, 2002

inspired by Joie: part 1, angels
I do believe in angels. Growing up, I always felt a presence around me, following me, protecting me. Uncanny things happened to me that I couldn't explain, strange guidance, and I would often feel something like an energy on my shoulder, like someone putting a reassuring hand there. I won't even get into the how many times I've fallen asleep while driving, that's another story.

I related this to Hiromi back in college and she felt the same thing, but for her, the spirit or presence was one of her ancestors. That works for me. My model for angels is depicted in the Wim Wenders movie "Wings of Desire", that they are wanderers exerting their divine influence at random. And some do that. Others attach themselves to one person and follow them (mine). Others may attach themselves to significant people, ie, descendants, relatives. Others attach themselves to a concept, the angel equivalent of patron saints. There is not one model.

To be honest, I haven't felt this for quite some time. More times than I can count, there were occasions when I would see a random child who would touch me so much just from their being, that I would think to the presence that I always felt following me, "If you really exist, leave me and go with this child and protect and guide it as you have me. You've given me enough, I don't need any more, so go!" I haven’t done that in quite a long time. I haven't felt anything, any guidance, in quite a long time. Lately I've been wondering if I should try to recall that presence.