Saturday, October 08, 2005

I don't think there's any need to explain my anti-social tendencies – asocial if you want to get technical. I'm not malicious or misanthropic as some definitions of anti-social proclaim. As such, I have a lot of rules and random weirdnesses that go along with my social interactions.

One is that if I go with someone with whom I'm still in the "getting to know" phase to a movie, doesn't matter if it's just as friends or whatever, and the movie ends up sucking, I take that as a sign that this is going no where, drop it, give it up, don't even try, wipe the egg off my face.

Movie in point: Thumbsuckers, easily in my bottom ten films of all-time sucky films. I had trouble breathing afterwards it was so bottom of the barrel bad. I don't even know where to begin about how bad it was. The writing was juvenile, the direction pathetic, the camera work laughably pretentious, and there was this weird thing with the lighting that looked like it might have been intentional but came off as insultingly amateurish. Like someone was adjusting the lights during shooting.

It was Garden State 2005. At least that movie had a decent soundtrack. But that movie was just self-indulgent and lacked credibility on top of trying to pretentiously look and act "indie". The form was pretty good for a completely substanceless film. Thumbsuckers will insult and infuriate you in its badness.


April 12, 1997 - West Portal, San Francisco