Monday, October 24, 2005



Wow, I'm good.

I just watched Chen Kaige's The Emperor and the Assassin, and one of the images that stuck with me is the one of the blind girl stabbing herself. She's not a main character and has maybe two or three minutes of screen time.

But the image stuck with me and stuck with me, and then on a hunch I looked up Suzhou River. Suzhou River is one of my favorite movies even though I've only seen it once and could hardly tell you anything about it, except something about mermaids, and one quotable line that I thought would be good for an epitaph. There was just something about it that I got lost in.

It's also a relatively rare film, and I judge movie databases and internet rental services by whether they have this movie or not. I recommended the film to Netflix several times and was delighted when they finally got it.

To my surprise, or not, the blind girl is the same actress that plays the lead in Suzhou River. Can I nail my obsessions or can I nail my obsessions?