Sunday, October 02, 2005

NOT in line with my endeavor to cut down on distractions and trying to simplify my life is pulling out my road bike and starting to go on rides. I can't tell you how sweet it felt to get back on that Peugeot which hasn't been ridden in probably exactly a year. The derailleurs are still aligned and shifting is smooth as a baby's arse.

I get on that bike and it feels so good I swear I must've really lucked out on that purchase. I think I got it for $700, maybe $600, I don't remember, from a shady bike shop on Stanyan St. in San Francisco that went out of business within months. The guy selling the bike to me was either a professional con artist or a bike sage.

I theoretically could have shelled out $500 more dollars, pushing into the "high end" range, and gotten a more respectable name-brand bike, and I just can't imagine being more satisfied than with this little red Peugeot.

Anyway, with all this scanning, I need to make sure I get out of the house, ergo these rides. I have a fixed 19 mile course, designed not to require any thinking and allowing me to try to focus on breathing and Zenning out, making mind, body, bike, and road as one. Whatever.

Cycling as meditation?