Saturday, February 11, 2006

I've been a little slow on the uptake. I only heard last month about Billy Corgan megalomaniacally taking out a full-page ad in a Chicago newspaper expressing his feelings about how his heart has always been with Smashing Pumpkins and he wants to reform the band. That was apparently last June, when I was still at monastery.

I've been scrounging around for a review I wrote years ago which commented on Billy's megalomaniacally dramatic statement whilst breaking up the Pumpkins that he and James Iha would never perform on the same stage again. What, were we supposed to cry?

The gist of what I predicted was that they would be back together soon enough after all their solo endeavors flopped in comparison to what the Pumpkins achieved. I think my exact words about the break-up were, "Yea right. Good luck, Billy".

It had been more than six months when I finally got the news, and realized if something was going down with the Pumpkins, it was probably in the works now. But jaded from all the dramatics, I thought that I might give a new Smashing Pumpkins album a chance, but they would seriously have to earn my loyalty back.

Suddenly the anticipation is electrifying. The Pumpkins have had low points through the years, but everything Corgan has done has at least indicated there is huge talent being placed into anything he does (well, and then there was "Zwan", ugh). I guess I'm a true fan at heart.

Man, those Tiny Mix Tape writers are funny.

iTunes soundtrack:
1. Risky (Ryuichi Sakamoto)
2. The Song Remains the Same (Led Zeppelin)
3. Montmatre (Django Reinhardt)
4. Junior's Farm (Paul McCartney & Wings)
5. Epic Problem (Fugazi)
6. I Fought the Law (The Clash)
7. Reviewing the Situation ("Oliver!")
8. The Lap of Luxury/Now Wash Your Hands (Marillion)
9. Leave It to Rust (Enon)
10. Fullhouse (Kate Bush)